Rural Tramways is a 00 gauge tramway layout depicting a semi-rural town, somewhere in the north of England, with its own small tramway system. It is set in the early 1960’s although many early trams appear in various different liveries. Many of the trams and buildings are built from kits although some are scratch-built.
This layout often causes a lot of interest at exhibitions with its seldom modelled working traverser which moves the tramcars in and out of the depot without the need for any points. Traversers were used on several 20th century tram systems in Britain, particularly in London, were space around depots was limited.
This layout was built between January and April 2005 by me with the help of my Dad, Alan. However, a layout is never finished and we are constantly adding to (and hopefully improving) the layout!
- Rother Valley Railway Model Exhibiton - 2006, 2007
- Staplehurst Model Railway Exhibition - 2006, 2008, 2009
- Festival of Model Tramways - 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017
- Southend Festival of Model Railways & Hobbies - 2007
- Hampden Park Model Railway Exhibition - 2011
- Seaford Model Railway Exhibition - 2012
- Tinker's Park Rail Gala - 2013